Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauges from non-US spec '74 914, Questions concerning originality
poorsche914
post Jun 20 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I pulled these gauges from a non-US spec 914 built 9.26.73

The speedometer is in Km/H rather than MPH, is the later, non-silver dot style, has a plastic lens, and shallow bezel. All this seems to be correct for a '74 gauge. The housing is datestamped 11.73. It appears the bezel has, at some point, been removed and replaced as there are pry marks around the entire perimeter.

Both the combo-gauge and the Tach are silver dot and deep bezel like an early gauge but with plastic lens of the late style gauge. The Tach is datestamped 10.74. Neither gauge appears to have been tampered with re: the bezel being removed.

Obviously, the two gauges with date stamps were added at a later time since they are dated after the car was built. No idea when the combo-gauge was built. My questions concern the gauges themselves...

Speedometer - what is the value for a Km/H version? Same as MPH version?

Tach and Combo gauge - did later MY non-US models have silver dot gauges with plastic lenses and deep bezels such as these? Or are these possibly a mix of early and late bits? The tach has a very late datestamp for being silver dot.

Thanks for any info on these gauges. Non-US spec information seems difficult to find for some reason.

Speedometer Km/H, plastic lens, late style, shallow bezel dated 11.73

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Deep bezel, plastic lens, silver dot Tach dated 10.74 (late date for a silver dot?)

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve Snyder
post Jun 21 2013, 07:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,158

Steve,

The KPH speedos sell for about double the price of the normal MPH speedos.

With regard to the tach and combo gauge, it was normal for the late 1973 & 1974 silver dot builds to have the plastic lens (this holds true for the US spec speedometers as well... and likely the KPH versions, although I do no have first-hand knowledge of that).

I have never seen a silver dot 914 tach with a build date later than 01/74 (and we've rebuilt / restored lots of tachs over the years). As you noted, the tach and combo gauge are not original to the car. It seems likely that VDO continued to produce the silver dot gauges (with plastic lenses) as spares for a period of time.

Lastly, on a more selfish note, would you mind if I used your Euro speedo pics on the P914 speedometer page? I do not have any examples of that particular gauge. Thanks!
+Quote Post
edwin
post Jun 21 2013, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Seems odd to have a 250kph speedo without the silver dot.
As I understood 914/4 got a 200kph and the /6 six got the 250.
I have a 200kph in my car which came from germany at about $100 inc shipping to Australia. Not sure how you'd value yours.
Let us know what you find
Cheers
Edwin
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jun 22 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #4

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

thanks for the responses. I will dig a bit more to see the true value on the kmh gauge.

Steve, feel free to use the images. And if you need any other angles, let me know and I will be happy to shoot them for you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:11 PM